Strawberry Scone with Author Sarah Jane Butfield




Q. What were you like as a child? Your favorite toy?
As a child, I loved the outdoors and my favorite toy was my bicycle.

Q. Just as your books inspire authors, what authors have inspired you to write?
I have always enjoyed reading true stories especially those that involve travel or relationships that I can relate to. However, my inspiration to write and publish a book actually came from Lisa Genova. When I read Left Neglected I felt such a deep connection with the story that it still spires my writing now.

Q, What do you consider to be your best accomplishment?
To actually publish a book is a dream come true. It still feels surreal that people enjoy reading about our adventures and experiences.

Q. Were you already a great writer? Have you always like to write?
I would never call myself a great writer, but I have always enjoyed writing in some form whether it is my journals, health-care articles during my nursing career, etc. I love that there is always something to write about and I find it a cathartic exercise which helps me a great deal.

Q. What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing process?
This is easy, the formatting for paperback.... I find the terminology more difficult than learning a foreign language. However, I am improving with each book I publish thanks to my new found network for author friends.

Q. What are you working on now? What is your next project?
I am working on a series of books aimed at aspiring and new self-published authors. Book 1 The Accidental Author sets the scene for the series by relating my story of becoming a self-published author. The series will look at the elements needed to write, self publish and build your author platform to be able to promote and sell your books. I think it will also be an interesting read for readers of self-published books, to know what we really have to learn and deal with in the pursuit of out writing dreams.

Q. Characters often find themselves in situations they aren't sure they can get themselves out of. When was the last time you found yourself in a situation that was hard to get out of and what did you do?
Great question, I would say deciding to leave the UK and relocate to Australia was one of the hardest situations I have encountered. The process of deciding which of our children would want to come with us and the subsequent court battle for my youngest child from a previous marriage to be permitted to emigrate was horrendous. However, I dealt with it as always with the support of friends and family, in addition to my strong believe having a positive mental attitude to overcoming challenging situations.

Q. What literary character is most like you?
I am likened to the character of Jo in Little Women because I am impulsive but totally committed to my family.

Q. What is your biggest failure?
I don't use the word failure as it has negative connotations and I try to only have positive thoughts to achieve positive outcomes. So instead I would say my biggest regret was losing our home in the Brisbane floods as it destroyed the roots to our Australian dream.

Q. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I would love to be helping more aspiring and new authors to achieve their dreams. I also have many more books to write and publish so watch this space!

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram